BREAD. SIMPLE AND QUICK
Bringing it back to basics. These days things like bread are appreciated. Usually taken for granted. But in 2020 and crisis caused by Covid-19 and in the same time strong earthquake in Zagreb from which I’m writing this – common things like bread and yeast are hard to get. So that’s why I made simple and quick homemade bread without yeast. With minimum preparation time and efforts. But delicious! Try it yourself.
This is the simplest bread you don’t need yeast for, dough does not need to rise and you can make it from white or whole wheat flour. The catch is to make the dough with as little mixing as possible and bake it as quickly as possible. I recommend to eat it while it is warm with butter or some other spreading.
Ingredients are sufficient for one small bread.
250g of semi-fine wheat flour or whole-wheat flour
6g of salt (1 tsp)
4g of soda bicarbonate or baking soda (1 tsp)
250ml of whole milk (at least 2.8%)
- Preheat the oven at 200C (392F)
- In mixing bowl mix dry ingredients – flour, salt and soda.
- Pour milk into dry mixture, mixing with wooden spoon until ingredients combine. Don’t mix it for a long time.
- Spread flour at clean work surface. Place dough on it.
- Form a ball out of the dough and press it gently from above. Roll the dough in the flour thoroughly (in same flour from which you made dough).
- With sharp and serrated knife cut in deep cross.
- Place dough on prepared and greased tin or mold for baking.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200C (392F) for 25 minutes. To make sure bread is baked you can take it out, flip it over and knock on the bottom of the bread. It should sound hollow.