Looking for new way to prepare beef? This recipe will for sure catch your eye. Beef pinwheels with mustard in vegetable sauce with cranberries. Extremely tender meat, flavorful sauce with light sweet note of cranberries pairs excelently with pasta, gnocchi or rice.
For this recipe you will definetely have to take time and be engaged in preparation. However at the end it will pay off, you will see. I like to add some berries or plums with red meat,, when prepared this way. This time I added some dry cranberries but you cann also add fresh or dried plums, depending what you have availible at home and what you prefer. It is the same with vegetables, you can add more. Instead of carrots you can add parsley root or parsnip, but if you stick to this base I made you will for sure enjoy in delicious meal!
600 g of beef top round steak
3 tsp of mustard
300g of onions
3 cloves of garlic
100g of celery root
1 medium carrot
100mL of sunflower oil
100mL of tomato puree / sauce
50g of dried cranberries
5g of sweet paprika powder
1 tsp of salt
200g of (uncooked) pasta
- Place beef top round steaks between 2 sheets of foil and batter them well (using meat tendeniser hammer). I had 3 steaks, aprox. 200g each. When battered, put a pinch of salt on each side of the steak and rub it in the meat. Then place 1 tsp of mustard on one side of each steak and smear it all over the steak.
- Cut the meat with mustard facing up and make 5 cm (2 inch) wide stripes. Roll them and secure them with toothpicks. Leave aside while preparing vegetables.
- Peel onions, garlic, celery root and carrot. Chop all vegetables on fine dices.
- Pour sunflower oil into the pot, heat it and add vegetables. Simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat (be careful not to burn them).
- Add previously prepared beef pinwheels and simmer them for 2-3 minutes and rotating them so each is heated up from every side.
- You will pour 250mL of water 4 times like follows:
1. – add 250mL of water, simmer 15 min. on medium heat, covered
2. – add 250mL of water, add cranberries, simmer 15 minutes on medium heat, covered
3. – add 250mL of water, simmer 15 min. on medium heat, covered
4. – add 250mL of water, add tomato puree and sweet paprika powder, simmer 15 min. on medium heat, covered
- Add 500mL of water, add pepper, increase the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Now you can start with preparing your choice of side dish. I cooked pasta. You can prepare rice or gnocchi.
- Finally add last 500mL of water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Note: You need to rotate pinwheels every few minutes to cook them evenly and not to burn them. Cook covered but leave some space so that steam can exit and sauce can be nicely reduced at the end.