It is almost impossible to imagine Easter morning without ham in bread, well at least for us. It was always prepared by our mothers and grandmothers. This year I made it myself but of course a little bit different. Key is to prepare good dough that you can easily roll out and then wrap around the ham. You will see how to do it in detailed step by step instructions below. Regarding preparing the ham, I prefere to cook it with onion, garlic, bay leaf and a little bit of thyme and rosemary. It leaves specific mild aroma which then transfers to bread. You will find tip or two more if you follow my recipe below.
- BREAD DOUGH
750g of all purpose flour
10g of salt
7g of dry yeast
400mL of milk
100mL of oil (sunflower oil)
Ham 1,5 kg (should have some fat and skin around it)
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
thyme and rosemary
1 egg (separate yolk from egg white)
1 tsp of mustard
- BREAD DOUGH
- Mix ll dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add lukewarm milk and oil. Mix everything with wooden spoon. Then knead the dough thoroughly for 3 minutes.
- Cover the dough with oil and leave it to rise for 60 minutes. Cover the bowl with cloth or foil. Meanwhile prepare the ham.
- HAM PREPARATION
- In the larger pot place the ham, one peeled onion, garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Add 2L of water. Place it on stove and after water boils, cook for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes take out the ham and leave it to drain. Do not wipe it with paper towel or cloth.
- HAM IN BREAD
- After 60 minutes of rising, knead the dough again throughly for 3 minutes. Put flour on work surface, place the dough on top of it and roll it out. It should be large enough to wrap the ham but still not to thin. Dough should be at least 1 inch thick.
- Cut the extra dough off so that you get square shape. Rest of the dough you can roll out in long oval strips. You can make braids out of it for decoration.
- Place ham on the dough. Mix egg yolk and mustard and smear that mixture on the ham surface. Egg white save for later. Wrap dough around the ham.
- Smear thin layer of oil on top of the bread. Place it in the oven for 30 minutes on 320F (160C).
- After 25 minutes take the bread out and smear egg white (previously lightly beaten) around it.
- Put the bread back in the oven on 400F (200C) for 25 minutes.
- Take the bread out from the oven. Leave it to rest for 20 minutes without covering it with cloth or foil.