Pita bread is great choice for small gatherings and parties where you plan to serve appetizers or different kinds of toppings or spreads. It is great choice for simple dinner, you can combine it with a lot of different stuff or use it in milion ways. And on top of it all – it taste so good.
I like to make pita bread for light dinner with tuna pate or hummus. In addition serve salad as complementary side dish and that’s it. With pita bread and variety of spreads, toppings and stuffings and make it interesting for your guests or your kids with possibility that each of them make unique combination for themselfs.
Recipe below is sufficient for 6 pita breads which is enough for light dinner but if you are preparing small party or gathering I suggest to start with 4-5 time more ingredients.
200g of all purpose flour
3/4 tsp of salt (4g)
1/3 tsp of dry yeast (1g)
120mL of warm water
- In smaller bowl mix flour and salt. That is dry mixture. Set aside.
- In second larger bowl place dry yeast and add warm water. Mix until yeast is completely dissolved. That is wet mixture.
- Add dry mixture into wet mixture.
- Mix with wooden spoon and then with your hands until all ingredients combine and you get smooth dough. Cover with bowl in which dry mixture were and leave for 10 minutes to rise.
- After 10 minutes knead the dough in following way. Leave the dough in the bowl, grab the dough on one side and drag that piece of dough to the middle of dough and press it down with your fingers. Turn other side and do the same. Repeat 8 times. This complete process shouldn’t take more than 10 seconds.
- Leave it covered for 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 5 and 6 twice and then step 5 one more time.
- Leave it covered to rise for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes when dough is twice the size, press it with your fist to force the air out of it.
- Lightly spread flour on clean work surface. Pull out the dough ball from the bowl and place it on work surface. Slice the dough with sharp serrated knife on 6 similar pieces. Around 55g each.
- Take one piece of the dough in your hands and make a ball out of it. Repeat for all 6 pieces.
- Cover and leave them 10 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 465F (240C) and place baking tray in it to heat up.
- Roll out each ball with rolling pin. Cover and leave them to rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes sprinkle flour on top each pita bread (on both sides) and place it on preheated baking tray and put it in the oven.
- Bake them until they completely inflate. It will not take same time, every time you are making pita bread so be careful. Most important thing is that pita breads inflate!
- Take them out of the oven, leave to cool a little bit and serve or place in plastic food bag so that they don’t dry out.