Super cheesy quesadillas! Easy to make and full of flavors. This combination of cow’s curd, spinach and artichokes as filling in addition of parmesan cheese and mozzarella will surprise and excite your taste buds.
This classic Mexican dish can be done in many ways and with numerous fillings. This time I decided to go with cheese and spinach – and some artichokes.
Cream or cottage cheese with spinach pairs well. This time I decided to go with cow’s curd from cheese dairy from island Pag, Croatia. Thanks to the specific agro-climatic conditions, the particularity of the vegetation cover, the many types of aromatic and medicinal Mediterranean plants and herbs, sheep and cow products and processed products (milk, cheese and meat) have a special taste. In my opinion it is a best curd in Croatia market and it is widely available.
Artichokes have earthy note but also have ability to make other foods taste sweeter. They also pair well with citrus like lemon which I used here. Lemon juice will prevent artichokes to turn brown while cooking but also it will neutralize bitterness of fresh spinach. Artichokes pair well with mint, basil, wine, sesame, cocoa and – cheese.
5 minutes /
40 min for artichokes
1 & 3/4 cup of cow’s curd
1/2 cup of sour cream
3 cups (300 g) of mozzarella, shredded, divided
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
13 & 1/3 cup (400 g) of spinach leaves
3 medium fresh artichokes or 2 cups artichoke hearts from can
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of black pepper, freshly minced
1/2 tsp. of red pepper powder
4 large wheat tortillas
- If you are using fresh artichokes, in medium pot place water and turn on the heat. Add lemon juice (1 whole lemon) in the water and add artichokes. Cook for 40 minutes. Artichoke leaves will start to separate when cooked.
- In a large bowl, mix together the curd, sour cream, 1 cup (100 g) of mozzarella, parmesan cheese and minced garlic. Stir it well. Add red pepper powder, salt, and black pepper until smooth.
- Fold in the cooked spinach and artichoke or artichoke hearts.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle ¼ cup (25 g) of mozzarella over half of the tortilla. Top with ¼ of the spinach artichoke mixture, spread it evenly. Sprinkle with another ¼ cup of the mozzarella.
- Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the side with the mixture. Flip and cook for 1–2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. You should have enough mixture for 4 large tortilla.
- Serve it warm.