When I first saw this cake and this recipe I must say I wanted to make it just because it looks so great. Then I made it. It tastes great as well. Definitely proper choice for any occasion.
Poppy cake. It doesn’t sound much at first. However when you look deeper and when you make it you will see that this cake has everything. It is visually appealing, has great texture and most important it is delicious.
I must mention that my first touch with this cake was at great Croatian bakery site Natašine slastice – https://www.kolaci.biz/. This was an inspiration to make this cake and to see what can actually be done with poppy.
I’ve done my research on poppy and more details you can read in our herbs and spices section. Poppy pairs extremely well with vanilla and chocolate, ingredients that are used in this recipe. More over poppy pairs well with butter, milk, sugar, lemon, orange, rum, cinnamon, walnuts and almonds. And yes, I decided to add almonds in this story. I added almond crumbs in biscuit for additional flavor and some crunchiness. It worked out perfect.
Fun fact about poppy seeds – they are high in essential fatty acids and 1 tsp of seeds contains approx. 50 calories. That is slightly less than chocolate.
4 egg whites
4 tbsp. of granulated white sugar
2 tbsp. of flour
40 g of almond crumbs
70 g of minced poppy seeds
4 egg yolks
40 g of granulated white sugar
100 ml of milk
200 g of white chocolate
1 tbsp. or 7 g of vanilla paste or vanilla aroma (I used dr. Oetker Finesse Bourbon Vanilla natural aroma)
700 ml of whipping cream
40 g of minced poppy seeds
- Mix egg whites until they become firm
- Gradually add sugar and mix until you get firm and smooth foam texture
- Add flour, almonds and poppy seeds and mix them together with foamer or wooden spoon.
- Place mixture on baking paper evenly in 24 cm diameter cake ring.
- Place it in preheated oven on 360F / 180C for 25 minutes.
- Leave it to cool in the ring, then remove baking paper and transfer it to desired base or serving pad.
- In sauce pot place egg yolks, sugar and milk. Place it on medium heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes remove it from the heat and add white chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted. Leave it aside to cool.
- After it is cooled add vanilla paste or vanilla extract, mix it with a mixer.
- Separately whip whipping cream until it starts to tighten.
- 1/3 of whipped cream add to mixture and blend it with a mixer.
- Add 1/2 of whipped cream in the mixture, blend it together with a mixer on low speed.
- Add rest of whipped cream and poppy seeds in the mixture, blend it together with a mixer on low speed.
- Spread the cream evenly on the biscuit and leave it to cool in refrigerator at least 3 hours or over night.